Asbestos Exposure at Home, asbestosdefinition.com | The World Health Organization and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) define asbestos as “a material that when heated or oxidized is capable of conducting electrical current.” In essence, it’s a mineral that has been used in building materials since ancient times.
What Are the Symptoms of Asbestos Exposure at Home?
The effects of asbestos exposure at home aren’t always obvious. When it’s present in the air, the effects are usually most apparent in the respiratory system, which is susceptible to damage when it comes into contact with this mineral.
Symptoms may vary depending on the area where the exposure occurred. For instance, lung cancer is a rare disease caused by long-term exposure to asbestos, and can only be detected after a patient has passed away. It’s unclear if the symptoms are the same, however, when the individual hasn’t died yet.
Other symptoms of asbestos exposure at home include long-term respiratory illnesses, irritability, shortness of breath, decreased immunity, ear and chest pain, dizziness, dry mouth, weight loss, hair loss, depression, and migraine headaches. Some of these symptoms may not be present when a person moves out on his own, but some will become apparent when he moves into a new area. In addition, smoking is known to trigger the same symptoms of exposure.
If you suspect you’ve experienced exposure at home, the first thing you should do is consult a medical professional. The two biggest factors to consider in assessing the condition of your lungs are the size of the particles and the amount of asbestos present. The presence of asbestos is diagnosed through x-rays and other tests.
If your lungs are fine, there isn’t likely to be exposure at home. You need to understand that lung cancer is a silent killer that starts out slow. To save your life, the cancer must be diagnosed early.
If your lung function is low, however, you should certainly ask yourself if you’ve experienced exposure at home. It’s not unusual for a lung specialist to see hundreds of cases each year. You shouldn’t be too concerned about your symptoms, as there is a very good chance that your condition is related to asbestos exposure at home.
Although the symptoms may vary, the reason that asbestos exposure at home can be detected may be more common than most people realize. Lung damage can be detected through other, non-invasive tests such as X-rays. Since cancer is rarely found during routine examination, it’s common for a doctor to ask the patient to stand up and move around.
If you perform a job that requires you to stand up all day, or if you walk a lot, or if you have a constant back pain, you may have a good job and you may not be aware of the possible asbestos exposure at home. Having a medical professional check your lungs at home isn’t such a bad idea, as you’ll get regular health checkups.
When you have a feeling that you’ve experienced asbestos exposure at home, you should begin to feel better in a relatively short period of time. Asbestos exposure at home doesn’t necessarily need to be permanent, as the mineral is capable of breaking down over time. But, if you’re currently experiencing symptoms, you should ask your doctor to take samples from your lungs and airways.
X-rays, computed tomography (CT) scans, and MRI scans are the most commonly used procedures for testing the lungs. Tests that measure lung functions may also include:
If you suspect you’ve experienced asbestos exposure at home, make sure to see a doctor immediately. Doing so will protect your health and that of your family members.