Most Friable Asbestos, asbestosdefinition.com | Most friable asbestos is very strong and durable. It can be made into fibrous mats and tiles, or it can be used to make materials that have excellent resistance to moisture. If a friable asbestos material is exposed to moisture it will degrade very quickly and release asbestos fibers into the air.
If asbestos is exposed to moisture it is known as wet asbestos and can be inhaled easily. This type of asbestos is a non-combustible and is highly dangerous.
Another type of asbestos is called wet asbestos and is less toxic than wet friable asbestos. It is less likely to be present in building materials but has not been studied as thoroughly as wet asbestos.
The fibers that are released in the air when friable asbestos is wet are much finer than fibers in dry asbestos. The greater the contact with moisture the more likely a person will be exposed to airborne fibers that may contain asbestos.
People who work near the edge of buildings where asbestos is stored and likely to come in contact with moist material are most likely to be exposed to asbestos fibers. There are also many people who live in or near areas where asbestos is stored.
Asbestos fibers can travel through the air, even if a person tries to clear their nose before they inhale a particle. Even people with asthma or lung disease can be exposed to these fibers when they come into contact with another person’s moist clothing or from inhaling this material as they sleep.
The average person who comes into contact with wet friable asbestos particles will be exposed to fibers for only one to two minutes. People who have breathing problems may not be able to detect these particles. Some people may never know that they are breathing in fibers and may not know that they have been exposed to asbestos fibers.
People who breathe in fibers may have an effect on their health. Lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestosis are some of the diseases that have been linked to exposure to wet asbestos.
In some cases, people who work with wet asbestos have no apparent effects from their work. However, when people work with dry asbestos they may develop mesothelioma, a disease that causes cancer in the lining of the lungs and may affect the lymph system. There is no cure for this disease, but the symptoms can be treated and the patient can live a normal life.
Workers who work with wet asbestos are at risk of developing mesothelioma. However, the risk increases dramatically when the worker is exposed to a small amount of asbestos over a long period of time. In this case the worker is more likely to develop mesothelioma.
There is a chemical known as MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. MRSA is one of the most common forms of staph infection and is a strain of the bacteria that can survive in dry, warm and damp conditions. MRSA can be spread from person to person when the bacteria get on clothing, bedding, skin, and other surfaces.
MRSA is responsible for hundreds of thousands of infections and over 3 million illnesses each year. It can easily spread to the lungs of a person who has been exposed to contaminated surfaces. It is important that all workers wearing moist asbestos be regularly tested for MRSA.